Friday, October 2, 2009

desert wildlife can be found in the city if you look closely

I had a very desert day today. This morning when I was walking Captain Skippyjon Jones I found coyote poop on the sidewalk!

Then tonight I came home and there was a scorpion in my bedroom. I love scorpions but not in the house, so on the rare occasion that it happens I scoop them up with a cup (they are so easy to catch - did you know that they don't have eyes?) and dump them in the canal behind our house. They eat crickets so they are handy. Anyway, after I dumped it out I decided to sit on the back porch because it was so nice out - about 85 degrees. All of a sudden I see a big bird fly by and it does it without making a sound. I immediately suspected it was an owl. I got out from under the porch and found it sitting on our neighbor's roof. It was about as big as a cat. I watched it for about 5 minutes until it flew (once again without a sound) off of the roof. I ran out to the front yard and walked down the street until I found it on another neighbor's roof. After it flew away again I decided to go get Captain and my camera. I tracked it down 2 more times and got some crappy pictures. But considering it was dark and the owl was dark they are pretty good.

Hopefully my neighbors didn't think I was some kind of predator taking pictures of their houses in the dark.


I love owls! I can remember every time I've ever seen an owl in the wild. There is something captivating about them.


Hello Owl is by Kareena Zerefos.

P.S. Speaking of owls, I love that new song Fireflies by Owl City. So good.

P.P.S. Also my friend Angi brought me an owl brooch back from Red Velvet Art in Missouri. It is exactly what I would have picked out for myself if I went there. I wore it to school on Monday and it was loved by teachers and students alike.

2 comments:

stephanie said...

Grainy and dark or whatever, I love those pictures. That's a big, big owl.

Rhubarb said...

What fun!