Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Favorite Books of 2010

I read 42 books last year, and these 11 are the ones I think you should read too. They are listed in the order I read them.

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami - phantasmagorical. This was my "Book you most anticipated in 2010" because I loved "Kafka on the Shore" so much in 2009.


Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen - great sister story with magical realism. This was my "Book you recommended to people most in 2010."


Arcadia Falls by Carol Goodman
reviewed here on April 9th


Seabiscuit: An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand - the fascinating world of horse racing during the Great Depression


Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya - southwestern coming of age story with a twist of magical realism. This was my "Most beautifully written book in 2010."


Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver - a young woman tries to save her family, herself, and the environment


The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King - not your typical Stephen King story - kings, dragons, and an evil sorcerer. This was my "Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010."


Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
reviewed here on September 19th
This was my "Most hilarious read of 2010."


The Girl with No Shadow by Joanne Harris - sequel to Chocolat


The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot - non-fiction that reads like a novel. Tackles body waste rights, science, and racism all centered around HELA cells. This was my "Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010."


Lily White by Susan Isaacs
reviewed here on December 22nd
This was my "Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read."

3 comments:

auntangi said...

'Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe' is one of my all time faves! I love Flannery O'Connor. And I think I cried as much as I laughed!

auntangi said...

Um...I meant Fannie Flagg... but I like Flannery O'Connor too : )

slow ernie said...

Sorry to barge in. But do you take requests? I request you read All The Living by C.E. Morgan. You'll be so happy you did.

Oh, how I got here? Was surfing the web for thoughts on Coal Black Horse.