Saturday, July 10, 2010

An Inconvenient Elephant by Judy Reene Singer


I received An Inconvenient Elephant as an Early Reviewer. Upon receipt I discovered that this is actually the sequel to another book called Still Life with Elephant. I decided to go ahead and read it without the prequel and had no problem understanding the story.

Neelie is a woman who has been caring for baby elephants in Kenya for the last year. On her way home to the United States she meets Tusker, a bull elephant with a death sentence because he likes to share campers' food, just like the raccoons in Grand Canyon but bigger. She feels compelled to save the magnificent creature but there are a few minor details she needs to take care of. First, raising $35,000 as a pay-off, second, getting him and his best friend Shamwari (which means My Friend in Zulu) to the U.S., and third, convincing her ex-boyfriend to allow them into his elephant preserve.

There was some corny dialogue in the first chapter which made me feel like I was going to be in for a long ride, but it picked up from there and only got better. I loved the numerous African proverbs sprinkled throughout the story such as, "As they say in Swahili, It can rain on your head all day but it won't grow a banana tree."

This is a great book for animal lovers and environmentalists alike. And now I want to read the prequel...

P.S. Blue Safari is by Art&Ghosts.

No comments: