Sunday, September 30, 2012

Happy Banned Books Week!

Like a true pirate I've been celebrating Banned Books Week since 2009 by going out of my way to read books others have deemed unfit for society. It started with Fahrenheit 451 by the late Ray Bradbury, which was not banned but imagines what a society where book banners are king would be like.

Then in 2010 I reread To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. This book is so beautiful I can't imagine why people would want to keep it out of others hands and minds. It's really hard to choose a favorite book, but whenever asked this title always comes out of my mouth.

Last year I read Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov which turns you into a person who roots for a pedophile. Twisted.

This year I'm reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. It was banned in the USA for moral reasons. I bought it last year at Ken's old hangout, City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco. I wish I had more time to wander around in there, exploring all the nooks and soaking up the energy. Hopefully someday I will return!

Open Door, Open Books, Open Mind, Open Heart: excellent theme for Banned Books Week!
Lots of cool memorabilia inside!

What will you read for Banned Books Week?

P.S. I found my treasure chest of banned books here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm reading "One Flew" for banned books week too!

Captain Nick Sparrow said...

Sweet! So far I like it.