Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Wallace by Jim Gorant

The first sentence on the back cover of Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls--One Flying Disc at a Time says, "Today, Wallace is a champion." Spoiler alert! Basically the entire story is laid out on the back cover (and in the title), but somehow the details of a couple rescuing a high energy pit bull and training him to be a disc catching maniac still propelled me through the book.

Before reading this story I knew basically nothing about competitive disc, but the author made me feel like an expert without boring me. Reading descriptions of Wallace redirecting his energy toward dashing after and catching discs thrown by Roo Yori made me turn pages like it was The Hunger Games. I loved reading this feel-good story that gives the pit bull some positive press. In fact, this is my favorite nonfiction story I've read so far this year. The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption, another book by Jim Gorant, has already been added to my wishlist.

At the beginning of the book Roo and Clara had 0 dogs. By the end they had 6 rescue dogs living in their house. Ok phew! At least there are people out there even crazier nicer than us.

No comments: