Sunday, September 16, 2012

That Fucking Tree

Child's Play Challenges Storybook Challenge this month is to use The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein:
To me The Giving Tree is a sad story so it made me think about the mesquite tree we are battling in our front yard. It's covered with giant spines that pierce our gloves and skin. If you tried to climb up her trunk and swing from her branches you would probably die. Any time we trim and repair it we wind up swearing, which is why I called this page, That Fucking Tree.
I cut off some actual spines to include on my page so when I'm old I won't think I made up those awful things. I should have waited until the glue dries to take the picture though.
The one good thing about that fucking tree is the mourning doves love building their nests in there. It has a built-in security system.

We think we're going to have an arborist remove it and plant something less painful. I was thinking a tree more like this one would be nice:

P.S. Sorry, I can't find a photo credit for the book tree picture.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's so cool that you used the spines! I think that the Giving Tree is sad too, but it's Eliza's favorite right now.

Karen Wilson said...

LOL! I honestly read your title 3x's thinking, I didn't see that right?? After reading your story, I totally understand now!! We have a tree that's actually our neighbours and it's like a bush? Anyway, it's nasty with spines like that and it's been cut way back and that sucker keeps coming back with MORE spines! Very clever adding the spines to your page. Thanks for joining us at Child's Play!!

K Clark said...

oh my goodness... love it! great page and I am sure people will get a laugh out of that page in years to come :0)

tiffany said...

ha! tell us how you REALLY feel about that tree!! Thanks for playing along at Child’s Play Challenges =) Tiffany

Denise Pustelniak said...

Nice F....ing creation! Good description of that tree!

Busy Bucharoo said...

Whoa! I thought my eyes were playing tricks or that your site had gotten hacked, but aside from the initial stun, your page is great. Totally unexpected, but upon closer inspection totally understandable. Thanks for the laugh.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeeeeeee this!!!! I love love love the story and loving the little trees!!!!

karenw said...

Those spines are deadly!! I can understand why you would be swearing at them constantly! Love this page and the title made me laugh...

thanks for playing with us at Child's play. x

Chas said...

That is a different layout. Thanks for playing at CPC!!